Thursday, March 13, 2008

Addictions

What are you addicted to? I know I ended that sentence
with a preposition. But seriously, to what or to
whom are you addicted? I am addicted to coca-cola.
I need one at least twice a day and sometimes three
times a day. You can be addicted to your dog, your
job, or to any habit performed on a daily basis.
How do you stop an addiction? First of all, you
have to want to end it. Then you put your mind to
it to stop it, and you proceed to do that. Now wasn't
that fairly simple and straight forward. Did I stop?
Could I stop? Do I want to stop? That is the main
question. To make yourself end an addiction, you
must control the other aspects of your life. You
must not make the mistake of trying to stop an
addiction without the benefit of overcoming the
need to be addicted. Once recognized... truly
recognized, you should be able to see the error
of your ways or at least be aware of the
harm you are doing to yourself or to others
around you.It is easy to sit here and type out
directions for all the world to see, than it
is to put down what I am doing wrong.I have
not ended my need to drink a coke. I want to,
but I don't do it even though I say I can.
I just don't want to give it up. Well , I
must take the dog out for a walk and let her
do her own business. My business is getting into
everyone else's business. I do a great job of
it too. But I am trying to improve. To do
that I have to tell you my life story.
After the first pit stop maybe. I don't have
the time or space to give you my full life
story and besides you would be bored.
Someday you can read the book. Let's hope
it does not become an addiction. Reading
that is. Woe be onto us if people started
reading and getting educated again.
But that's another Blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drinking Coke's is not your biggest addiction, collecting is. Buying something just because it's on sale even though you don't have room for it is an addition. Never taking it out of its original container and using it is an addition. Renting space in a storage unit for your "treasures" because your house is filled up is an addition. Drinking Coke only affects you; your collections are taking up space in the universe.

Anonymous said...

DRINKING COKE SHOULD BE EASY TO QUIT,I QUIT SMOKING 21 YEARS AGO -SO AFTER THAT I BELIEVE I COULD QUIT ANYTHING.SAYING THAT ,I AM ADDICTED TO READING NOVELS.I CONSTANTLY HAVE ONE WITH ME ANYWHERE I GO SO IF I CAN CATCH A FEW MINUTES READING TIME ITS LIKE A FIX OF SOME KIND.IF I FINISH A BOOK I GO IMMEDIATELY AND PURCHASE ANOTHER ONE,ITS ALSO EXPENSIVE.PEOPLE TELL ME THAT ITS GOOD TO READ A LOT BUT YOU CAN WASTE A LOT OF TIME DOING IT,AND I ONLY READ FOR PLEASURE SO I DONT RETAIN AS MUCH AS YOU WOULD THINK. BUT THIS IS JUST ME ,WERE ALL DIFFERENT.